Grief is a natural process for any loss. Depending upon the person grief can be more/less difficult. Losing a family memeber or a friend can be more/less difficult than losing and grieving over a job or divorce but this does not mean one grief is more or less important than another. Grief if very different so people deal with grief in different ways.
Dealing with grief
Whilst grief varies from person to person know that you are not alone with grief. Lighthouse suicide prevention can help you to deal with grief so you can start to deal with your emotions and feelings.
- Intense feelings of grief can be overwhelming and frightening. This is normal. You’re not going crazy; you’re grieving.
- Feelings of guilt, confusion, anger, and fear are common responses to grief.
- You may experience thoughts of suicide. This is common. It doesn’t mean you’ll act on the thoughts.
- Forgetfulness is a common, but temporary side effect. Grieving takes so much energy that other things may fade in importance.
- Keep asking “why” until you no longer need to ask.
- Healing takes time. Allow yourself the time you need to grieve.
- Grief has no predictable pattern or timetable. Though there are elements of commonality in grief, each person and each situation is unique.
- Delay making major decisions if possible.
- The path of grief is one of twists and turns and you may often feel you are getting nowhere. Remember even setbacks are a kind of progress.
- This is the hardest thing you will ever do. Be patient with yourself.
- Seek out people who are willing to listen when you need to talk and who understand your need to be silent.
- Give yourself permission to seek professional help.
- Avoid people who try to tell you what to feel and how to feel it and, in particular, those who think you should “be over it by now.”
- Find a support group for survivors that provides a safe place for you to express your feelings, or simply a place to go to be with other survivors who are experiencing some of the same things you’re going through
For more information you might want to visit the NHS coping with bereavement webpage.
Developed for Lighthouse (Ireland) Ltd
- NHS. (2013) Coping with bereavement. [Online]